Claims - General Information

There are procedures and forms that must be used to make a claim. Please see How to Make a Claim for information.

IMPORTANT: The information below is general and should not be relied upon as legal advice or as a basis for action or decisions about making a claim or associated issues. You should seek your own legal advice.

Who can claim?

A joint Motor Accident Notification Form / Motor Accident Medical Report (MANF / MAMR) for the early payment of medical expenses may be lodged by any person who has sustained personal injury as a result of a motor accident and who has not been charged with a serious driving offence.

A CTP notice of claim (NOC) form may be lodged by:

The fault of another person must be established for a notice of claim to succeed. If you are partly at fault you can still claim but your entitlement will be reduced by the extent of your contribution to the accident.

What am I entitled to claim?

Most people are entitled to the early payment of up to $5,000 for medical expenses (using the MANF/MAMR) which is paid by the CTP insurer (including Nominal Defendant) and is designed to provide speedy access to treatment and rehabilitation to support a better health outcome.

With the NOC process, where the insurer accepts the driver was at-fault, the injured person is entitled to make a claim for:

When to apply

There are limits on the amount of time you have to make a claim.

For an outline of the timeframes of when different claims are due, and what circumstances apply, refer to the section 'How to Claim'.

If you think you have a claim but may not have met the timeframes, you should seek advice from an insurer or a lawyer about the steps you can take to make a claim.

What happens if a lawyer lodges a claim for me?

A lawyer can give you independent advice about whether you have a claim and about the amount of compensation you are likely to receive. The Law Society of the ACT can let you know their member firms and their areas of specialisation.

A lawyer can:

What processes can occur with progressing the claim?

In summary:

The CTP insurer will evaluate your claim, including investigating the crash, to make an assessment of liability. The insurer may also require you to be examined by a doctor of their choice.

There is an obligation on all parties to share documents and information relevant to liability and the amount of damages. Claimants have an obligation to provide details of the personal injury and consequent disabilities; medical treatment and rehabilitation services sought or obtained for the person injury; their medical history relevant to the motor accident claim; any other claims for damages for personal injury; and their claims for past and future economic loss and for gratuitous services.

If liability is accepted, the insurer may undertake an estimate of the damages and make an offer.

There may be a conference and offers made by each party to settle the claim. You will be advised of the relevant step by the insurer and / or your legal adviser.

Contact Details

Visit our contact details page for Insurers, Nominal Defendant and the Law Society or to provide feedback to CTP Regulator.