If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, this page provides information on making a claim.

For additional information about claims, please visit the Claims – General Information webpage.

Who Can Claim

If you were not at-fault, you can claim both an (A) early payment for your medical expenses (up to $5,000) as well as (B) compensation for the personal injury (the level of compensation is dependent on the circumstances of the claim). If you were at-fault, you may be able to claim an early payment for your medical expenses. You cannot make a claim for compensation for your personal injury but may be able to access (C) an insurer’s “at-fault cover”.

Not At-Fault

If you were a not at-fault person injured in a motor vehicle accident, you can make a claim for a range of benefits such as treatment, rehabilitation and care; economic loss; and pain and suffering (depending on the claim and circumstances). An injured person can include, for example, passengers, pedestrians and cyclists. See (A) and (B) under How to Claim.See (A) and (B) under How to Claim.


If you are the at-fault driver in a crash and are injured, you may be able to receive medical expenses, which is up to $5,000 of medical treatment costs incurred in the first 6 months after an accident. See (A) under How to Claim.

If you were only partly at-fault for the accident, you may be able to make both claims (A- early payment and B – compensation) but be aware the insurer may recover some costs from you, either from the compensation payment or otherwise. For example, if you were affected by alcohol or drugs See (A) and (B) under How to Claim.

Some CTP insurers include at-fault driver cover as part of your CTP policy. You may be eligible to make a claim – see (C) under How to Claim.

Catastrophic Injury from a Motor Vehicle Accident

Any person catastrophically injured as a result of a motor vehicle accident in the ACT may be eligible to join the ACT Lifetime Care and Support Scheme (LTCSS).

A catastrophic injury includes traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, amputations, burns or permanent blindness. Treatment and care needs are provided under the LTCSS. For further information on the LTCSS and how to apply, visit: www.act.gov.au/ltcss

Further information

To make a claim or for general information on claims please follow the links below: