In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)

In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)
ACT Public Hospitals

Canberra Hospital

5124 0000

Calvary Hospital

6201 6111

Mental Health

Call Mental Health Triage on

1800 629 354

(free call except from mobiles or public phones) or

6205 1065

Poisons Hotline

For a poison emergency in Australia call


Drug and Alcohol Help Line

The Drug and Alcohol Help Line is available 24-hours, 7 days a week on

5124 9977

Health Protection Service

For after hours urgent public health matters including environmental health, radiation safety, food poisoning and communicable disease management phone:

(02) 6205 1700


24 hour health advice

1800 022 222

ACT State Emergency Service

Emergency help
during flood or storms

132 500

Scheme Knowledge Centre



Why do we have compulsory personal injury motor accident insurance?

Every one of Canberra’s 300,000 vehicle owners must pay for this insurance when they register their vehicles. Without this insurance, injured people could be left without a way to recover their loss and manage their injuries. This is why personal injury motor accident insurance is compulsory when you register a vehicle in every state and territory in Australia.

In the ACT, you select your insurer when you register your vehicle. The available insurers and their premiums are included on your registration notice, and you pay for this and the ACT Government registration costs at the same time.

Why has the government introduced a new scheme?

Under the previous CTP scheme, many people were either not covered when they were injured on ACT roads, or it took a number of years to receive a final settlement. The Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) scheme ensures Canberrans will get fairer, faster and more comprehensive support, regardless of whether they were at fault in an accident or not.

There was an extensive community engagement process on the development of the new scheme. More information can be found at YourSay website.

What is the difference between the MAI scheme and the CTP scheme?

The previous CTP scheme was an at-fault common law scheme where an injured person could seek damages through legal processes, with damages paid as a lump sum. The scheme did not cover accidents where fault could not be proven. It also did not pay benefits to the person who was at fault, although an injured person could access up to $5000 for early medical expenses.

The MAI scheme replaced the at-fault CTP scheme. A key feature of the scheme is that it will no longer be necessary to prove another driver was at-fault in order to access benefits following injury in a motor accident. The provision of benefits, for treatment and care as well as income replacement, is for up to five years, with payments made on an ongoing basis.

People with more serious injuries may also be eligible to make a common law claim for compensation if they are injured by someone else’s negligence.

What is the Defined Benefit Information Service?

The Defined Benefit Information Service is provided by CARE Inc, who provide free advice and assistance to people on accessing the defined benefits available to them under the Motor Accident Injuries scheme. The Defined Benefit Information Service by CARE can be contacted on 1300 209 642. The information service is available from 9am to 5pm on weekdays and can access interpreters if required.

CARE can assist with information in the following areas:

  • understanding how the scheme operates
  • identifying the defined benefits an injured person may receive
  • identifying the appropriate insurer to provide your application
  • understanding an application form and medical report, including what information will need to be provided
  • understanding an insurer’s response or decision, and providing information on how to request a review
  • explaining the role of the ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal and understanding the ACAT application form for an external review
  • referrals to other services.
What is a Whole Person Impairment (WPI)?

Whole person impairment (WPI) is an internationally-recognised way of determining how permanently impaired a person is from an injury. It expresses the degree of a person’s permanent impairment resulting from the injury sustained in motor accident as a whole number percentage. A WPI is established through an assessment done by an independent medical examiner.

Further information about our WPI assessment guidelines are on the Legislation Register.

If I am taken to hospital following a motor accident will I get a bill?

Following a motor accident, you may be treated by Canberra Health Services. Canberra Health Services anticipates that an insurer will become involved, and that you as the injured person may make an application for defined benefits.

The Canberra Health Services Patient Accounts Office will make contact with you as soon as practicable, generally within the next day or so, to verify whether an application will be made.

If you make an application to an MAI insurer, and it is accepted by the insurer, please inform Canberra Health Services of your insurer and application number. They will send invoices directly to the accepting insurer, otherwise invoices will be directed to you.

If your MAI application is not accepted, you need to let Canberra Health Services know as soon as possible so your invoices can be adjusted accordingly.

Patients who are injured in a motor vehicle accident on an ACT road or road related area are entitled to free ambulance services as part of the road rescue fee component.​