In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)

In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)
ACT Public Hospitals

Canberra Hospital

5124 0000

Calvary Hospital

6201 6111

Mental Health

Call Mental Health Triage on

1800 629 354

(free call except from mobiles or public phones) or

6205 1065

Poisons Hotline

For a poison emergency in Australia call


Drug and Alcohol Help Line

The Drug and Alcohol Help Line is available 24-hours, 7 days a week on

5124 9977

Health Protection Service

For after hours urgent public health matters including environmental health, radiation safety, food poisoning and communicable disease management phone:

(02) 6205 1700


24 hour health advice

1800 022 222

ACT State Emergency Service

Emergency help
during flood or storms

132 500

For road users - FAQs

What is a MAI policy?

If you own a motor vehicle, a person is required by law to purchase personal injury insurance as part of their motor vehicle registration. An MAI policy covers people injured in a motor accident, regardless of who was at fault. This includes the driver who may have caused the personal injury, along with injury to other people, such as passengers, pedestrians, other drivers, pillion riders and cyclists.

The MAI policy is set by legislation, which means that the policy is exactly the same for every person who registers a motor vehicle and pays for an MAI policy. The premium that you pay is based on the vehicle class of your vehicle.

How is the MAI scheme different to CTP insurance?

Both are personal injury insurance schemes.

The MAI scheme provides fairer, faster and more comprehensive support for persons injured in a motor vehicle accident. There will no longer be a need to prove fault in order to receive treatment and care, and income replacement.  It is a hybrid defined benefits common law scheme, with people who are more seriously injured being able to receive common law compensation.

The CTP insurance scheme provided compensation only for injury to other people, such as passengers, pedestrian, pillion riders and cyclists (third party injury). The at-fault driver did not receive compensation for any injuries they may have had.

I have paid for a CTP policy. Do I need to cancel this and pay for a new MAI policy?

If you have paid for a CTP policy that crosses over the 1 February 2020 date for the commencement of the MAI scheme, you will automatically be covered and do not need to do anything with respect to your CTP policy.

Can I select the insurer for my MAI policy?

Yes, you can select from four insurers – AAMI, APIA, GIO and NRMA when renewing. Access Canberra can tell you the cheapest MAI policy recorded in the system at a point in time.

You will need to contact the insurers directly to enquire regarding further details and the discounts that may be available for other insurance policies with that insurer, when purchasing an MAI policy. Some insurers may offer cash back, multi-policy or other types of discounts.

When did the MAI scheme start?

The MAI scheme started on 1 February 2020. If you have had a motor vehicle accident before this date, you may be able to claim under the CTP insurance scheme (depending on your role in the accident).

What is the difference between an MAI policy and a “car” (comprehensive or third party property damage) insurance policy?

A policy under the MAI scheme only covers personal injuries from a motor vehicle accident and is compulsory. It does not cover damages and/or liability to your vehicle or other vehicles or property involved in an accident. You need separate insurance for vehicle damage. This kind of insurance is usually called comprehensive or third-party property insurance and is purchased from insurers as an optional, separate product. It is not part of your vehicle registration costs.

Who is the Motor Accident Injuries Commission? Why is there now a $16.00 Motor Accident levy?

The Motor Accident Injuries Commission is the regulator for the MAI scheme. The Motor Accident Levy, $16.00 per annum for the majority of vehicle classes, is collected by the Road Transport Authority to fund the work of the Commission. The levy supports the MAI Commission in performing its role to regulate, administer, oversee, review and monitor the MAI scheme.

All premiums that are collected with your MAI policy are paid to the MAI insurers.