The Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) Commission is headed by the MAI Commissioner. Its responsibilities include:
- reviewing premiums to ensure they fully fund the present and likely future costs of the scheme but are not excessive
- regulating the licensing of insurers under the MAI scheme
- monitoring insurer’s compliance with their obligations
- providing information to the public about the MAI scheme
- managing complaints about the market practices of licensed insurers under the MAI scheme
- monitoring and reviewing the MAI scheme, including developing guidelines and reporting to the Minister on how it is administered.
The Commission does not have powers to change a decision of an insurer regarding a defined benefit application or a common law claim.