In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)

In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)
ACT Public Hospitals

Canberra Hospital

5124 0000

Calvary Hospital

6201 6111

Mental Health

Call Mental Health Triage on

1800 629 354

(free call except from mobiles or public phones) or

6205 1065

Poisons Hotline

For a poison emergency in Australia call


Drug and Alcohol Help Line

The Drug and Alcohol Help Line is available 24-hours, 7 days a week on

5124 9977

Health Protection Service

For after hours urgent public health matters including environmental health, radiation safety, food poisoning and communicable disease management phone:

(02) 6205 1700


24 hour health advice

1800 022 222

ACT State Emergency Service

Emergency help
during flood or storms

132 500

Motor Accident Injuries Commission

Better and fairer coverage for people who are injured in a motor accident.

acknowledgement icon

A Defined Benefit Information Service is provided by CARE inc, who provide free advice and information to people on accessing the defined benefits available to them under the Motor Accident Injuries scheme.

COVID-19 update: The MAI Commission is monitoring the impact COVID-19 may have on the scheme. MAI insurers have confirmed they have business continuity plans in place to ensure their business operations are able to be maintained. The Defined Benefits Information Service by Care Inc remains available for telephone contact. For the latest updates on COVID-19 in the ACT, visit ACT Health website.

For road users

The new scheme delivers:

  • fair coverage for all road users
  • equitable access to treatment and care for people who are injured
  • quick and transparent benefits to get recovery underway as soon as possible
  • comprehensive and ongoing support for those who need it most

For injured people

Everyone who is injured in a motor vehicle accident will be entitled to receive treatment, care and lost income benefits for up to five years. Delivering better and fairer coverage for people who are injured in an accident – no matter who was at fault.

Forms and guidelines

There are new forms and guidelines that must be used when making a Motor Accident Injuries Scheme insurance claim in the Australian Capital Territory.


The Motor Accident Injuries Commission (MAIC) is a new statutory authority responsible for the ongoing management of the new scheme in the Australian Capital Territory.

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, the scheme you are covered under depends on the date of the accident, not the date of the application. Any claims for accidents that occurred before 1 February 2020 will be managed under the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance scheme, regardless of when the claim is made. Visit Treasury website to find out more about the CTP scheme.