We are Australia’s most LGBTIQ welcoming and inclusive city – and we’re proud of it. The ACT Government celebrates our LGBTIQ community by supporting events that increase visibility and inclusion, and investing in targeted programs to meet the unique needs of LGBTIQ Canberrans.
$2.6 million in programs supporting the LGBTIQ community over 4 years
The ACT Government is investing in initiatives to boost the health and wellbeing of LGBTIQ Canberrans, in collaboration with local community organisations.
This includes providing $110,000 to expand a trial of Pre-exposure Prophylaxis treatment to protect against HIV, and delivering more support for intersex, gender diverse, and transgender people and their families through A Gender Agenda. We also deliver popular events like CBR Fair Day and the Canberra SpringOUT Pride Festival to celebrate the contribution of LGBTIQ Canberrans.
“Events like CBR Fair Day & SpringOUT are really important – an air of positivity & celebration counts.“ - participant
The capital of equality
The first ACT LGBTIQ Strategic Plan, to be released in 2018-19, will set out key directions and priorities for achieving our vision for an LGBTIQ inclusive community.
We will implement the Plan in 2018-19 by:
- Supporting trans, gender diverse and intersex led peer support, education and resources
- Collaborating with intersex organisations to plan for the implementation of the Darlington Consensus Statement in the ACT
- Investing $700,000 over four years to increase LGBTIQ visibility and inclusion, including through a new community grants scheme
- Ensuring the health and wellbeing of LGBTIQ Canberrans through further funding to support community-based agencies with innovative approaches to inclusion
- Funding social research to ensure future decisions and services for LGBTIQ youth in Canberra are substantiated by data
- Honouring the contributions and achievements of LGBTIQ Canberrans through a research project on the history of LGBTIQ activism in the ACT since 1969