ACTIA’s Risk Management Team
The ACT Government is committed to robust risk management practices, recognising that risk management is an integral part of good management.
The ACT Insurance Authority has been tasked under the Insurance Authority Act 2005 with promoting good risk management practices and giving advice to the Minister about the management of Territory risks.
ACTIA promotes the adoption of good risk management practices throughout all ACT Government directorates and organisations. Risk Management initiatives promoted by ACTIA include but are not limited to:
- Promotion of risk management forums and networking meetings for ACT Government personnel involved in risk management;
- Assisting directorates with the development of their risk management programs, policies and practices;
- Provision of a variety of risk management and insurance training courses for Directorate representatives;
- Provision of risk management tools;
- Provision of assistance to directorates in identification, assessment and treatment of risks for all activities managed by the Territory.
Please feel free to contact one of ACTIA’s Risk Managers for further assistance in relation to your risk management:
Best Practice Risk Management AS/NZS ISO 31000:2009
The ACT Government uses the internationally accepted standard AS/NZS ISO 31000:2009 as the basis for best risk management practice within the Territory.
The documentation, guides and toolkit developed by ACTIA (and available for use throughout government) have been developed to be consistent with the standard.
For more details please go to our ISO 31000:2009 Risk Management – Principles and Guidelines page.
Risk Management Guide and Toolkit
In order to assist ACT Government directorates implement robust risk management practices, the Authority has produced a number of documents for use and distribution.
The documents can be accessed by clicking on the following links. The documents will open in Word or Excel and can be saved to your computer.
ACT Government Risk Matrix (Word 204KB)
Risk Register Template Documents
The following risk register templates are blank templates which can be downloaded to your computer, printed out or completed electronically. Individual components of the Risk Management Templates are also available and can be downloaded separately.
- ACTIA Risk Management Templates (Word 241KB)
- ACTIA Risk Treatment Plan (Word 19KB)
- ACTIA Cost Benefit Analysis Form (Word 18KB)
- ACTIA PESTLE Analysis Form (Word 19KB)
- ACTIA Risk Register (Word 25KB)
- ACTIA Risk Register (Excel 610KB) updated March 2014
The ACTIA Risk Register in MS Excel format is a workbook that is an automated risk register that was developed to record the risk management process from setting the context, identifying and analysing risks, right through to risk treatment plans. The workbook includes a tip sheet and a glossary of terms for your information. To make full use of the document please save the document to your hard drive - don't forget to 'enable macros' if the Excel security warning appears and to save as a “macro-enabled workbook”.
The risk management process is dynamic, iterative and responsive to change. The templates provided on this website are designed to adhere to this process. This means that the templates, in particular the risk management spreadsheet, are in a constant state of monitoring and review. New versions will be made available with new features as requested by ACT Government directorates and fixes to any errors or bugs will be implemented as soon as identified.
If you are an ACT Government employee who has used a previous version of the spreadsheet and wish to update to a later version please call the Risk Managers and we will arrange to have any existing spreadsheet data copied to the latest version for you.
Tip sheets have been developed to provide a point of reference and prompts for common risk management queries. Additionally, there is a copy of the completed risk management register to provide an example of what a risk register might look like.
- Tip Sheet 1 Risk Identification - What Risks do I have? (Word 123KB)
- Tip Sheet 2 Risk Description - How do I describe my Risks? (Word 41KB)
- Tip Sheet 3 Sample Risk Register - The ACTIA Risky Team Pool Facility Risk Management Plan (Excel 604KB)
Risk Management Glossary
ACTIA uses standard Risk Management terminology from the AS/NZS 31000:2009 standard.
The ACT Government is committed to improving the accessibility of web content. If, however, you experience problems accessing the information or functions in any uploaded PDF or Word document, please contact the ACTIA Officer Manager. We will endeavour to fix the problem or provide the information in an alternative format.