Better transport and infrastructure for Canberra
The ACT Government is continuing to make it easier to get around Canberra by delivering an integrated public transport network and better road infrastructure.
Canberra will have a truly integrated public transport network with investments in new ticketing technology, Stage Two of the light rail network from the City to Woden, new Rapid Bus routes and bus priority infrastructure.
This Budget invests in the future of the ACT’s roads, with upgrades to major thoroughfares as well as intersection improvements and feasibility studies for future works to keep Canberra moving.
Our commitment to invest in our city’s transport network and associated infrastructure creates jobs in construction, reduces congestion and connects people with their community as our city continues to grow.
The 2017-18 ACT Budget invests more than $127.3 million in better transport and infrastructure across Canberra.
Better public transport for Canberra
The ACT Government is building an integrated public transport network that is vital to ensure Canberrans have a quick and reliable way of travelling around our city.
- $65 million over 4 years to make our public transport network even better, including:
- $53.5 million for the second stage of light rail between the City and Woden, including the development of a business case, design analysis and procurement activities;
- $7 million for free travel on two new Rapid Bus routes, free off-peak buses for seniors and concession card holders and to continue the Free City Loop, Airport and Route 182 Weston Line services;
- $2.1 million to progress procurement of integrated bus and light rail ticketing and investment in ticket machines;
- $1.7 million for faster bus travel though bus priority infrastructure, bus service improvements and new bus stops; and
- $715,000 for additional WorkSafe ACT Inspectors to deliver light rail safely.
Improving road infrastructure
Investing in our roads provides more transport options for Canberrans.
This Budget will invest $54 million in upgrades to roads across the ACT, including:
$35 million for stage two of the Gundaroo Drive duplication, replacement of the roundabout at Gundaroo Drive/ Mirrabei Drive/ Anthony Rolfe Avenue with traffic lights, a new four-way signalised intersection at the Federal Highway and Old Wells Station Road and stormwater works on Flemington and Morisset Roads;
$8 million to construct an access road to the Canberra Brickworks Precinct;
$6 million to investigate upgrades and duplication of the Monaro Highway and Pialligo Avenue;
$4.5 million over three years for increased road resealing across Canberra; and
$900,000 for design works on upgrades to Bindubi Street and William Hovell Drive in Belconnen and east-west arterial roads in the Molonglo Valley.
Better services in your community
The Budget invests in better community transport services across the ACT.
$8.3 million over four years in community transport through the Community Transport Coordination Centre, incorporating the Flexible Bus Service and special needs transport.